Internet project director and Web site manager with sterling eight-year track record leading content, design and technical teams to create innovative, successful Internet products for national and global markets.
INTERNET EXPERIENCE: Current
Web Services Team Supervisor (February 2002 - present)
Montgomery County Public Schools www.mcps.k12.md.us
- Project manager overseeing Web Services Team of three technical and content staff and recommending policies and procedures that define web best practices.
- Site strategist and architect developing site strategy and guiding internal clients on upgrades to mini-sites.
- Usability and information architect guiding development of web applications that enable users to access and manipulate data.
- Planner responsible for researching content management solutions and guiding development of enterprise portal front end.
The Web Services team is responsible for maintaining the district's dozen web-related computers and supporting the publishing and web development efforts of roughly 1,000 staff. The department acts as the system's web hosting provider. The team maintains content for high-level pages, develops web applications, and recommends and implements technologies that facilitate staff and student use of the web site. The system, located in the D.C. suburbs, is the 19th largest in the country and one of the fastest growing.
The site, which dates from 1995, is a mega-site of more than 50,000 html files. Current plans call for: improving and repackaging content; launch of new site design template; better management of webmaster accounts and user communication; improved training for staff webmasters; creation of a content management plan; development of a portal strategy.
INTERNET EXPERIENCE: Previous
Editor for New Media (October 1999 - February 2002)
U.S. News & World Report www.usnews.com
- Project manager overseeing New Media editorial (10+) staff of producers, programmers, designer.
- Content strategist and architect consulting for and with senior and mid-level editorial and business managers.
- New product developer responsible for creation and launch of new content products and partnerships.
- Collaborator with business development staff on partnerships.
The New Media editorial department manages and develops the two major components of usnews.com: news and college/grad school rankings. The site includes searchable archives dating from 1995, data-driven rankings and ratings, interactive tools, forums, chat, and a photo gallery.
After my promotion to editor in April 2000, I led major improvements to the site and staff that won us the National Magazine Award for Excellence Online in 2001 -- the Oscars of the magazine industry. The turnaround included: first home page redesign since site launch in 1995; creation of new revenue opportunities -- new advertising sizes, fee-based news article archives, proposal to charge for rankings; personalization of education channel; photo galleries; email newsletters; regularly scheduled chats, and user polls. New approach to business/edit partnerships generated substantial revenue. College rankings launch in September created highest traffic spike ever (1/3 more than previous high) and post-launch plateau is now higher than previous six months. Helped drive creation of content licensing task force charged with assessing market opportunities.
INTERNET EXPERIENCE: Previous
Director of Internet Projects (July 1996 to October 1999)
Radio Free Europe/Radio Liberty (RFE/RL) www.rferl.org
Prague, Czech Republic and Washington D.C.
- Project manager supervising Internet Department, including creation of project Intranet, migration to new server platform and preparations for creation of database approach to publishing.
- Information architect and hands-on site editor responsible for content management and for setting quality control, accountability and reliability standards.
- Liaison to senior managers, department directors, journalists and Webmasters, guiding managers to repurpose content and integrate the Internet into workflow.
Overview and Results
The Internet Department, created upon my proposal, launched the RFE/RL Web site in September 1996. At the time of my departure, the RFE/RL Internet effort included a mega-Web site with sub-sites publishing daily news in eight languages, eight English-language email newsletters, and live RealAudio broadcasts in 23 languages. These news products report and analyze developments in Central and Eastern Europe, Russia, the Caucasus, Central Asia and Southeastern Europe, and now Iran and Iraq. The site generates millions of views a month from more than 100 countries and is a leading source of news and information about the region. Content has been republished daily by sites such as Excite and Yahoo.
INTERNET EXPERIENCE: Previous
Senior Editor for Internet Products (Jan.1994-June 1996)
Classroom Connect/Wentworth Worldwide Media
Foster City, CA/Lancaster, PA www.classroom.com
- Co-author of Prentice Hall (PTR) title: "The Family Internet Companion" and editor of PTR titles "Educator's Internet Companion" and "Child Safety On The Internet."
- Developer of new product concepts, content architect, director of new product launch, supervisor of writing, design, production.
- Manager of in-house creative team of Internet surfers/writers, designers and of freelancers and authors under contract.
Overview And Results
As its original editor-in-chief, I led the start-up multimedia publisher Classroom Connect to become the leading provider of easy-to-understand Internet information for K-12 educators around the world. Products included: a monthly magazine, a book series co-published with Prentice Hall, a video series, a training system, CD-ROMs and a national seminar series. Online products included a Web site database, email discussion list, CU-SeeMe and a chat forum.
- Magazine Editor, "Profiles in Healthcare Marketing" (1992-94), Wentworth Worldwide Media
- Feature Department Editor (1991), feature writer/columnist (1989-91), education writer/general assignment reporter (1983-89), "Lancaster (PA) Intelligencer Journal," Lancaster Newspapers Inc.
Pennsylvania State University, cum laude, 1983
Bachelor of Arts, Journalism and German Studies
Study abroad in Germany, summer in Europe
Internet, project manager, department head, large-scale content management, information architect, Web site, producer, Webmaster, content editor, quality control, RealAudio, new media, new product development, content repurposing, intranet, journalist, broadcasting, team leader, training, listserv, international, multilingual, news media, politics, education, K-12, German, author, editor-in-chief, market researcher, magazine, newspapers, Penn State University, reporter, columnist, feature writer.
Phone Web Site Montgomery County Public Schools
850 Hungerford Drive
Rockville MD 20850